CareersAlien – RFID Innovator
Come and work for one of the industry’s most innovative companiesAn equal opportunity employer, Alien is seeking talented and energetic individuals who excel in their areas of expertise and who wish to contribute to the worldwide uptake of RFID technology.
Current PositionsSenior Hardware Engineer Software Engineer
Title: Senior Hardware Engineer
This position is an opportunity for you to have a major impact by advancing the hardware capabilities of Alien industry leading Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) readers. You will be responsible for RF, analog and digital board level design, layout, verification, troubleshooting and transition to manufacturing for next generation UHF RFID Readers. You will also support Alien’s existing reader portfolio and Customers. It is an opportunity to engage your curiosity, push the boundaries of performance/cost and participate in the full spectrum of product design, implementation and support. Since Alien is a small company, you will enjoy broad responsibility in product design and development.
The Hardware Engineer interacts and coordinates with a broad set of business functions including Marketing, FW/SW Engineering, Certification Bodies, Contract Manufacturing, Test Engineering, QA and Operations throughout the life cycle of the Alien RFID Reader products. This includes product definition, technology research/development/enhancement, HW/SW integration, design validation testing, (electrical, environmental and functional), product verification, certification (RF, safety, plenum), new product introduction, and product support (manufacturing, test, RMA, Customer).
- BS or MS in EE and 5 years of experience in RF, digital and analog design
- Strong and broad experience in the board level, discrete design of RF communication systems.
- Past success designing and taking to production a complex RF communication system hardware implementation is required including mixed signal (RF/analog/digital) PCB design, layout, troubleshoot, and verification.
- Specific experience in transmitter and receiver design is required.
- Strong troubleshooting skills are required
- Understanding of noise cancellation techniques used in RFID is a positive.
- Knowledge of RFID standards is a positive.
- Knowledge of RF systems and key tradeoffs for implementing PA architecture and the receive chain blocks including LNA/Mixers/PLL’s is a positive.
- Experienced in the use of at least one of the board design tools (Altium preferred) and ability to lead board layout engineers required.
- Experienced in use of standard test equipment including Spectrum Analyzer, Network Analyzer, Logic Analyzer, Oscilloscope, DVM , etc..
- Experience in RF and Safety certification is a plus.
- FPGA experience is a plus
Title: Software Engineer
Alien Technology, the world leader in RFID products and solutions, is looking for a talented, motivated and multi-skilled Software Engineer to join the Alien team to develop cutting edge software and bring innovations to existing and next generation RFID products.
As a member of our small multi-functional Software Development team you will have a chance to make a major impact and become a core contributor responsible for design, implementation, ongoing support and test of Java and .NET based applications, APIs and other software modules interfacing with RFID readers on multiple platforms to enable RFID technology for both customers and internal use.
Your ability to work independently, adapt to challenges and quickly learn new technologies is expected.
- 4+ years of professional, hands-on experience developing software using Java, C# and C/C++ including GUI applications, services and APIs
- Deep knowledge of software design patterns and advanced programming concepts including, multi- threading, IPC, etc.
- Proficient in Java with strong object-oriented design skills, including JNI C/C++ development – Android development using Android SDK, NDK and JNI
- Full competence developing C# .NET applications
- Experience developing software using network and serial communication interfaces
- Expert in debugging and troubleshooting hardware and software issues
- Good time manager, capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously to meet project deadlines and deliver under pressure
- Independent, driven and motivated to complete the task given a high-level direction
- Demonstrate ability to quickly learn new technologies
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Engineering or related discipline
Additional Desirable Skills and Experience
- Development experience using Ruby, Python, scripting languages
- Experience developing Linux applications, system software and/or device drivers for embedded systems – Experience creating test frameworks
- Technical writing skills including API and test documentation, release notes, user interface guides
Send your resume to:Alien Technology
Attention Human Resources
845 Embedded Way
San José CA 95138-1030
Fax: (408) 782-3908
(Please include job title and a cover letter with your submission)
BenefitsAlien Technology Corporation provides quality, attractive health care options to meet the unique needs of each employee and their family. Alien offers a customized employee benefits package that enables employees to design their own plan and choose benefits that best fit their needs and budget.
Alien pays the full premium for the following coverage: Basic Life, Basic AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program, Vision and Business Travel Insurance.
In addition to Dental and Vision coverage, Alien offers three medical plans, Blue Shield HMO and PPO and Kaiser. Alien and employees share the cost of employee and dependent coverage, including domestic partner coverage.
The following are paid fully by employees and enrollment is voluntary: 401(k), Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Flexible Spending Accounts and Voluntary Life/AD&D, Cancer, Accident and Disability insurance.
Alien Technology assures equal treatment in the administration of all personnel matters including recruitment, selection, hiring, advancement, training and transfers, without regard to race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, age, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans or any other protected class. Alien Technology also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees where appropriate and/or as required by law.